Italian Wedding Soup isn’t exactly what you think – as in an Italian wedding delicacy only served on the night before one’s big day. Instead, the term “wedding soup” comes from the Italian phrase “minestra maritata,” meaning “married soup.” This is a reference to the soup’s combination, or marriage, of greens and meat. The green veggies in Italian wedding soup can be anything from endive or escarole – like in this recipe – to kale, spinach, or cabbage, and the meat is typically meatballs or sausage. Does all of the above sound perfect for warming you up on a chilly evening? Then, check out this recipe below!
• 1 small onion, grated
• 1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
• 1 large egg
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 slice fresh white bread, crust trimmed, bread torn into small pieces
• 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
• 8 ounces ground beef
• 8 ounces ground pork
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 12 cups low-sodium chicken broth
• 1 pound curly endive or escarole, coarsely chopped
• 2 large eggs
• 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra for garnish
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. To make the meatballs: Stir the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl to blend. Stir in the cheese, beef, and pork. Using 1 1/2 teaspoons for each, shape the meat mixture into 1-inch-diameter meatballs. Place on a baking sheet.
2. To make the soup: Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and curly endive and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the curly endive is tender for about 8 minutes. Whisk the eggs and cheese in a medium bowl to blend. Stir the soup in a circular motion. Gradually drizzle the egg mixture into the moving broth, stirring gently with a fork to form thin strands of egg, about 1 minute. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve. Finish the soup with parmesan cheese, if desired.
Mix-up something scrumptious tonight with this special recipe provided to you by The Westport Apartments in Norfolk, Virginia, and put our updated, fully equipped kitchens to good use!